As the manager of a carrier fleet, you’re well aware of how crucial it is to maintain your CSA score in order to run a successful and productive business. A good CSA score will help you get better loads and save money on insurance, among other benefits. However, if you have a bad CSA score, you may find yourself with carriers “out of order”. Thus, costing you money and time.
If you’re looking to improve your CSA score, you may need help. Keeping track of the requirements set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and performing regular inspections can be a hassle. Thankfully, Whip Around and Motive (formerly KeepTruckin) have developed a partnership that can help you improve your CSA score in a much more efficient and effective manner.
What Is Your CSA Score?
To begin, let’s define your CSA score and why it matters. CSA stands for Compliance, Safety, Accountability run by the FMCSA. Your CSA score measures how safe you and your motor carriers are based on several factors:
- Number of safety violations and inspections.
- Severity of safety violations or crashes.
- When safety violations occur (more recent events weigh more heavily against your score).
- Number of trucks and/or buses a carrier operates and the number of vehicle miles traveled.
- Any acute and critical violations found during inspections.
In an attempt to set a standard for all carriers that is easy to understand, the FMCSA created a set of BASICs (Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Categories). These include:
- Unsafe driving
- Crash indicator
- Hours of service compliance
- Vehicle maintenance
- Controlled substances/alcohol
- Hazardous materials compliance
- Driver fitness
Each of the factors measured by the FMCSA groups into one of these categories. Then, the FMCSA calculates your CSA score based on the number and severity of violations. If you receive a poor CSA score, the FMCSA will investigate your fleet. If you receive a truly awful score, you may be put out-of-service.
Until now, you could improve your CSA score with a lot of hard work. However, in order to do so, you would have to sift through the endless amounts of data found in the Department of Transportation’s Safety Management System to discover and address issues or wait for enough time to pass without your fleet violating any more standards.
While both solutions could prove effective, the process of performing either would prove costly and time-consuming for you and your carriers. Thankfully, today there is a better way to improve your CSA score.
How Whip Around and Motive Can Help
If you’re interested in maintaining a good CSA score, Whip Around and Motive can help. These companies have teamed up to help you manage your safety compliance and address any potential issues before they come to the attention of the FMCSA. With the Motive and Whip Around integration, prevent CSA violations before they occur. Then, create a safer carrier fleet for all of your drivers.
Motive has been dedicated to helping trucking companies move complicated processes online for years. It has developed several hardware and software services designed to help truckers manage safety, hours, and other compliance factors using online systems. The company is devoted to connecting truckers and carrier fleets across the world.
Whip Around is a fleet maintenance solution specifically designed to help drivers and motor carrier companies inspect and maintain their own safety practices. Drivers and companies can use Whip Around to track miles, develop maintenance schedules that keep you on top of potential issues, generate effective work orders, and create reports on the maintenance, mileage, and cost history of individual carriers and your fleet as a whole.
Whip Around will not only allow you to see issues in your carriers as they occur, but will also help you immediately and efficiently schedule maintenance requests and work orders to keep your trucks moving as quickly and as safely as possible.
Improve Your CSA Score With the Whip Around and Motive Integration
If interested in avoiding CSA issues and improving your CSA score, use Motive and Whip Around to maintain your trucks. Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll get when integrating this solution into your business:
- Receive automatic odometer and engine hour readings that sync with Whip Around to create mileage reports and service schedules that meet your needs.
- Receive immediate email and/or push notifications when a vehicle begins moving without the appropriate Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR).
- Create group work orders that include engine faults found through Motive, DVIR defects, and servicing needs so that you can more easily track maintenance and cost.
- Manage DVIR defects by connecting drivers directly with mechanics through an online system so that necessary repairs can be completed, certified, and communicated to the driver effectively.
- Receive email notifications of any discovered engine faults. Then, quickly create work orders to send to mechanics so you can get repairs done on time.
- View inspection reports, see repairs made, and provide necessary signatures online. This system is fully designed to comply with all the requirements of the FMCSA.
With an automatic and fully integrated online system, efficiently track any issues in your carrier fleet. Then, communicate safety issues to drivers and mechanics without long wait times. You can also avoid filling out endless piles of paperwork and getting stuck in backlogs of information.
Learn More About Your CSA Score
As the manager of a large carrier fleet, it can be challenging to manage compliance and safety standards. If you’re looking for an easier, more efficient solution to your CSA compliance, Whip Around and Motive can help. To implement this easy solution with your team, get in touch with us for a demo or start your free trial today.